The art gallery is housed in one of the buildings of the former Jesuit collegium, the architectural monument of the 18th century. The total square of the museum is 900 sq. m. The collections of the religious applied arts of the 12th - 13th centuries, the icon-paintings of the 18th - 20th centuries, the secular portrait painting of the 18th century, and the Belarusian fine arts of the 20th century are presented in the layout of the gallery. The Art Gallery also disposes two showrooms for presenting exchangeable exhibitions and the art salon.
The permanent exhibition acquaints with the development of the Belarussian fine arts, starting with the section” The mural painting of the 12th - 19th centuries of Holy-Tranfiguration church of the 12th century of Polotsk Saviour- Efrosiniya monastery”.
The section of icon-painting of the 18th-19th centuries, apart from the former religious items, includes six icons of the 18th century of the local icon- painting school from the iconostasis of Sophia cathedral, the collection of religious copper casting of the 19th century and the items of archeology of the 12th century.
The section ”The history of Belarus of the 20th century” in the chronological order, from 1935, traces the stages of the development of the Belarusian art and acquaints with the significant painters’ names.
The collections are constantly growing as archaeological excavations are carried out in the town, the mural painting of one of the most ancient churches of Belarus, Holy-Tranfiguration church of the 12th century, is being opened. A lot of research into the historic part of Polotsk is carried out together with the acquisition of some works of Belarusian painters.